- Clinical Characteristics of Children with Coronavirus Disease 2019 in Hubei, China
Children are susceptible to COVID-19, but have more favorable outcomes and clinical presentations, appear to be more cases and higher severity for children younger than 3
- Case-Fatality Rate and Characteristics of Patients Dying in Relation to COVID-19 in Italy
Italy has a high proportion of older patients with confirmed COVID-19 the older population in Italy may partly explain differences in cases and case-fatality ratios among countries. Within Italy, COVID-19 deaths are mainly observed among older, male patients who also have multiple comorbidities. However, these data are limited and were derived from the first month of documented COVID-19 cases in Italy. In addition, some patients who are currently infected may die in the near future, which may change the mortality pattern.
- Functional exhaustion of antiviral lymphocytes in COVID-19 patients
Functional exhaustion of cytotoxic lymphocytes is associated with SRAS-CoV-2 infection. SARS-CoV-2 infection may break down antiviral immunity at an early stage.
- FDA Approves Plasma Treatment for Coronavirus on Conditional Basis
FDA is facilitating access to COVID-19 convalescent plasma for use in patients with serious or immediately life-threatening COVID-19 infections through the process of single patient emergency Investigational New Drug Applications (eINDs) for Individual patients under 21 CFR 312.310.
- The convalescent sera option for containing COVID-19
This Viewpoint argues that human convalescent serum is an option for prevention and treatment of COVID-19 disease that could be rapidly available when there are sufficient numbers of people who have recovered and can donate immunoglobulin-containing serum.